The Prince and Princess of Wales have issued a statement after the horror crash on Water Street
The Prince and Princess of Wales have issued a statement after the horror crash following Liverpool FC’s victory parade(Image: PA)
The Prince and Princess of Wales have issued a statement after the horror crash following Liverpool FC’s victory parade. Merseyside Police arrested a 53-year-old man following the distressing scenes on Water Street yesterday.
It has been confirmed at least 47 people were injured as the vehicle hit the crowds, with 27 – including two children – taken for hospital treatment. Prince William and Princess Kate have taken to social to share a statement of support for the people affected by the incident.
They said: “We are deeply saddened by the scenes in Liverpool yesterday. What should have been a joyful celebration ended with tragedy. Our thoughts are with those who were injured and to the first responders and emergency services on the ground. W & C”
King Charles has also sent a message following the harrowing incident in the city centre. His Majesty said: “My wife and I were deeply shocked and saddened to hear of the terrible events that took place in Liverpool on Monday.
“It is truly devastating to see that what should have been a joyous celebration for many could end in such distressing circumstances. At this heartbreaking time for the people of Liverpool, I know that the strength of community spirit for which your city is renowned will be a comfort and support to those in need.
“Our prayers and deepest sympathy are with all those who have been affected, and my special gratitude goes out to the first responders, emergency services personnel and other individuals who rushed to the aid of the injured.”
The harrowing incident in the city centre yesterday has prompted an outpouring of support from high profile figures. Former Reds’ captain Steven Gerrard has taken to Instagram to share a message of support to those impacted by the incident.
He said: “Shocked, sickened and saddened at the incident we all witnessed in our city last night. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the people involved and their families.”
Former manager Jurgen Klopp said earlier today: “My family and I are shocked and devastated. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who are injured and affected. You’ll Never Walk Alone.”
Club legend Sir Kenny Dalglish also issued a message of support last night as the 74-year-old said: “Shocked, horrified and deeply saddened about what happened at the end of the parade today.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone and their families who have been impacted by today’s tragic event. Our anthem has never felt more appropriate, You’ll Never Walk Alone. Your Liverpool family are behind you.”
Merseyside Police held a press conference last night and said a 53-year-old man, who the force believe to be the driver of the vehicle, that hit fans had been arrested in connection with the incident.
The force also do not believe the incident was a terror-related attack. Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims said: “Extensive enquires are ongoing to establish the circumstances leading up to the collision and it is vital people do not speculate or spread misinformation on social media.
“I know that people will understandably be concerned by what has happened tonight. What I can tell you is we believe this to be an isolated incident and we are not currently looking for anyone else in relation to it.
“The incident is not being treated as terrorism. We would ask that people refrain from sharing distressing footage from the incident online and please share any information directly with our investigation team.”
Merseyside Police issued an update yesterday evening on details of the man arrested to avoid speculation surrounding the incident. The force said: “We would ask people not to speculate on the circumstances surrounding tonight’s incident on Water Street in Liverpool city centre.
“We can confirm the man arrested is a 53-year-old white British man from the Liverpool area. Extensive enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances leading up to the collision.
“We would ask people not to share distressing content online but to send the footage or information directly to us @MerPolCC or pass on information by calling 101 quoting log 784.”
