Last Updated:July 15, 2025, 19:38 IST
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle aim to mend ties with King Charles III amid his health issues. A discreet London meeting sparked talk of a royal “peace summit.”
King Charles and Prince Harry.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly seeking to mend their fractured relationship with King Charles III as concerns grow over the monarch’s health. Pagesix reported, citing sources in the know, that senior staff members representing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were spotted in London last week holding a discreet meeting with King Charles’ top communications aide, prompting speculation of a possible royal “peace summit.”
The meeting, held at the private Royal Over-Seas League club, included Meredith Maines, the Sussexes’ chief communications officer and Liam Maguire, their UK press lead. On the royal side was Tobyn Andreae, the King’s communications secretary.
Hugo Vickers, royal biographer and friend of the family, said, “They may well have just been discussing routine things, which is more than likely. But at some point, you have got to reconcile.”
‘The Ball Is In Prince Harry’s Court’
The urgency behind Prince Harry’s effort reportedly stems from King Charles’ ongoing cancer battle. While palace sources say the 76-year-old monarch is receiving the best possible treatment, he is not yet cured. Hugo Vickers said that the weight of time and distance is falling heavily on Prince Harry, telling the outlet, “Harry would be riddled with guilt if he never saw his dad again. The ball is in Harry’s court. He is the one who has to apologize and beg for forgiveness- not the other way around.”
The last time Prince Harry saw his father was in February 2024, shortly after King Charles publicly confirmed his cancer diagnosis. The meeting lasted just 30 minutes.
In a BBC interview this May, Prince Harry said he was “devastated” over losing his legal challenge concerning his personal security in the UK and claimed that King Charles “won’t speak to me because of this security stuff.” He also expressed hope for a reconciliation, adding, “I don’t know how much longer my father has.”
Hugo Vickers said, “I don’t think we’ll see Harry returning to royal duties but on a personal level, it would be good if he’s able to get on terms with his father.”
A Balmoral Invitation For Prince Harry-Meghan?
Royal insiders speculate that King Charles may extend a private invitation to Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and their children- Prince Archie, 6 and Princess Lilibet, 4- to join him at Balmoral, the King’s Scottish estate, where he traditionally spends August.
“It’s his house- he can do whatever he likes,” Hugo Vickers said, adding, “But there’s quite a lot of ground to be made up.”
Despite the Sussexes’ apparent outreach, relations between Prince Harry and his brother, Prince William, remain ice-cold. The two have reportedly not spoken in years and sources close to Prince William say he has no intention of reconciling. However, Hugo Vickers suggested that Princess Eugenie, daughter of Prince Andrew and a close friend of Prince Harry’s, could be key to bridging the family divide.
“Eugenie seems to be the one in touch with Harry and could broker the deal- especially where the children are concerned. They are going to grow up and work out that their first cousin, Prince George, is going to be the King of England,” Hugo Vickers said.
view commentsLocation :
United Kingdom (UK)
First Published:News world A Royal ‘Peace Summit’: Prince Harry, Meghan Seek Reconciliation With King CharlesDisclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
