Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have renewed their Netflix deal in a major boost for the couple after there were reports that the streamer was moving to ditch them.

    The couple has brokered a “first look deal,” which continues their relationship with the company but without binding it to pay them the kind of dizzying sums the Sussexes got the first time around.

    “We’re proud to extend our partnership with Netflix and expand our work together to include the As ever brand, Meghan said in a statement released to Newsweek. “My husband and I feel inspired by our partners who work closely with us and our Archewell Productions team to create thoughtful content across genres that resonates globally, and celebrates our shared vision.”

    Why It Matters

    The Sun and People reported in July that Meghan and Harry’s Netflix deal was going to be scrapped after it naturally expired in September.

    Monday’s announcement means they swerve a major bad PR day that would have ensued if it had been a hard break between the two sides.

    And the fact it is a multi-year deal is a promising sign for their financial future—but with the caveat that Netflix will likely not be obligated to keep paying them if they do not come up with interesting content.

    A first look deal means that Netflix gets first refusal on any ideas for shows that the couple come up with, but they do have freedom to go elsewhere if the streamer is not interested.

    Meghan Markle in Her Netflix Show
    Meghan Markle films her Netflix show With Love, Meghan, released in March 2025.
    Meghan Markle films her Netflix show With Love, Meghan, released in March 2025.
    COURTESY OF NETFLIX
    What To Know

    Meghan also announced her cooking show With Love, Meghan will film a festive special to be broadcast in December.

    With Love, Meghan: Holiday Celebration was described in a press release: “Together, friends and family deck the halls, create holiday feasts, craft heartfelt gifts, and share lots of laughs—with simple how-tos to follow at home. It’s a holiday wonder with warmth, tradition, and a generous dose of joy.”

    They also announced a new documentary, Masaka Kids, A Rhythm Within, which is about an orphanage in Uganda.

    The press release states: “A small orphanage becomes a beacon of hope. Masaka Kids, A Rhythm Within goes beyond the viral videos to reveal a vibrant, one-of-a-kind community where orphaned children transform hardship into joy, dancing their way toward healing, belonging, and the promise of a brighter future.”

    It is not currently clear whether the couple will appear in the show. The Sussexes also confirmed they are still going ahead with their previously announced adaptation of hit romance novel Meet Me at the Lake, by Carley Fortune.

    Speculation had been mounting that it might not materialize due to the absence of casting news and updates.

    What People Are Saying

    Bela Bajaria, Netflix’s chief content officer, said in a statement released to Newsweek: “Harry and Meghan are influential voices whose stories resonate with audiences everywhere. The response to their work speaks for itself—Harry & Meghan gave viewers an intimate look into their lives and quickly became one of our most-watched documentary series.”

    She added: “More recently, fans have been inspired by With Love, Meghan, with products from the new As ever line consistently selling out in record time. We’re excited to continue our partnership with Archewell Productions and to entertain our members together.”

    Nick Ede, a United Kingdom-based brand and culture expert, told Newsweek in July that a first look deal would be the best option for both sides: “What a lot of studios do is something called a first look deal where she gets to come up with her ideas and they get the first look. Which means they have that almost exclusivity and there’s a little bit of a relationship between the two parties.”

    He added: “It’s really important for her to get her brand across and with As Ever, it was the perfect way to have the two together but we know that social media can be really great too.”

    What Happens Next?

    Fans will not have long to wait to see the duchess on screen again as season two of With Love, Meghan will debut on Netflix later this month.

    Jack Royston is chief royal correspondent for Newsweek, based in London. You can find him on X at @jack_royston and read his stories on Newsweek’s The Royals Facebook page.

    Do you have a question about King Charles III and Queen Camilla, Prince William and Princess Kate, Meghan and Harry, or their family that you would like our experienced royal correspondents to answer? Email royals@newsweek.com. We’d love to hear from you.

    Share.
    Leave A Reply