LONDON, Sept 10 (Reuters) – Prince Harry had tea with King Charles on Wednesday at their first meeting in 20 months, in what may prove a first step towards ending a much-publicized rift between father and son.
Harry, the Duke of Sussex, last saw his father in February 2024, shortly after it was announced that the king was undergoing treatment for an unspecified form of cancer.
Buckingham Palace confirmed that Charles, 76, had a private tea at Clarence House in London with his son on Wednesday.
Harry, 40, flew into Britain on Monday for a series of engagements, and earlier on Wednesday visited a research centre which specialises in improving treatment for victims with blast injuries.
Since Harry and his American wife Meghan moved to California in 2020 where they now live with their two children, they have been highly critical of the royal family and the institution in interviews, TV documentaries and Harry’s autobiography “Spare.”
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex leaves the Centre For Blast Injury Studies at Imperial College London on September 10. Later that day, he met his father, King Charles, for tea.
Karwai Tang via Getty Images
Harry had some particularly barbed comments for Charles and his elder brother, heir-to-the-throne Prince William, leading to a total breakdown in his relationship with his family.
But after losing a legal battle with the British government over his security in May, Harry said he wanted a rapprochement.
“Of course some members of my family will never forgive me for writing a book. Of course they will never forgive me for lots of things. But you know … I would love reconciliation with my family … There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore. And life is precious,” he told the BBC.
“I don’t know how much longer my father has. He won’t speak to me because of this security stuff, but it would be nice to reconcile.”
‘A Lot of Anguish’
Both Buckingham Palace and Harry’s representatives had been tight-lipped ahead of the prince’s visit to Britain about whether there would be a meeting with the king.
However, Charles’ communications chief and Harry’s media representatives were pictured in July at a secret meeting in London in what newspapers suggested might be the first steps towards a reconciliation.
Historian and author Anthony Seldon said mending their relationship was important for the monarchy and for both Charles and Harry as individuals.
20 Years OfFreeJournalism
Your SupportFuelsOur Mission
Your SupportFuelsOur Mission
For two decades, HuffPost has been fearless, unflinching, and relentless in pursuit of the truth. Support our mission to keep us around for the next 20 — we can’t do this without you.
We remain committed to providing you with the unflinching, fact-based journalism everyone deserves.
Thank you again for your support along the way. We’re truly grateful for readers like you! Your initial support helped get us here and bolstered our newsroom, which kept us strong during uncertain times. Now as we continue, we need your help more than ever. We hope you will join us once again.
We remain committed to providing you with the unflinching, fact-based journalism everyone deserves.
Thank you again for your support along the way. We’re truly grateful for readers like you! Your initial support helped get us here and bolstered our newsroom, which kept us strong during uncertain times. Now as we continue, we need your help more than ever. We hope you will join us once again.
Support HuffPost
Already contributed? Log in to hide these messages.
“The king is the king, but he’s also a human being and a loving father,” Seldon told Reuters.
“I think the rift will have caused both of them a lot of anguish. So if that can be healed, at least in part, now or subsequently, then that’s all to the good.”
(Reporting by Michael Holden and William James Editing by Gareth Jones)
