
Get the free Morning Headlines email for news from our reporters across the worldSign up to our free Morning Headlines emailSign up to our free Morning Headlines email

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is unlikely to receive any compensation for leaving the Royal Lodge early due to needed repairs.
Andrew is set move out of the residence on the Windsor Estate after he was formally stripped of all his titles over his ties to Jeffrey Epstein.
In his lease at Royal Lodge, it was agreed he would be paid a “compensatory sum” if he were to move out of the 30-room mansion before 2078.
Andrew gave the minimum 12 month’s notice that he would surrender the property on October 30, and would have been entitled to £488,342.21 for ending his tenancy on October 30 2026.
But the Crown Estate has told MPs on the Public Accounts Committee that the King’s brother will probably not receive compensation due to repairs.
It said this was because an “initial assessment” of the 30-room mansion meant he “will not be owed any compensation for early surrender of the lease… once dilapidations are taken into account.”

open image in gallery
Andrew is set move out of the residence on the Windsor Estate
The Crown Estate said “before this position can be fully validated however, a full and thorough assessment must be undertaken post-occupation by an expert in dilapidation”.
The Public Accounts Committee also said it would launch an inquiry into the Crown Estate over its property leases to the royal family after questions were raised over Andrew rental agreement.
It published letters from the Crown Estate and the Treasury on Tuesday, responding to queries about such arrangements.
The royal family faced furore after it was revealed the King’s brother had been living in the 30-room mansion on a ‘peppercorn rent’ since 2003, although he paid £1m for the lease and a further £7.5m for refurbishments.
More follows on this story…
