A 44-year-old woman accused of stalking Princess Diana’s brother has been released on bail following a court hearing today.
Marinela Atomei faced Judge Anthony Potter at Warwick Crown Court after spending the weekend in custody, charged with stalking involving serious harm or distress.
The defendant, who resides in Atherstone, Warwickshire, must remain at least 100 metres away from the 61-year-old Earl Spencer under her bail conditions.
She has also been prohibited from entering Northamptonshire, the county where the Spencer family’s Althorp House estate is located.
Earl Spencer and Prince Harry
|
GETTY
Ms Atomei told the court: “I do apologise” as the conditions were imposed.
The prosecution outlined how Ms Atomei, a Romanian national who has resided in Britain for over a decade, made repeated visits to the Althorp Estate from July last year onwards.
Prosecutor Sabhia Pathan told the court that the defendant sent letters to Earl Spencer via recorded delivery “expressing her love” and posted dozens of messages on social media platforms.
Judge Potter remarked that the correspondence demonstrated an “infatuation” with the earl, adding: “I daresay they were profoundly unnerving.”
Earl Spencer is Prince William and Prince Harry’s uncle.
|
GETTY
The bail conditions also forbid Ms Atomei from making any contact with Earl Spencer or his partner, Professor Cat Jarman.
Defence solicitor Sophie Murray informed the court that her client possessed a “completely clear” criminal record and had demonstrated understanding of her actions.
Judge Potter issued a stern warning to Ms Atomei before granting bail, stating: “You now understand how Earl Spencer feels about the contact from you and how unnerving it is for him.”
Prosecutor Sabhia Pathan told the court that the defendant sent letters to Earl Spencer via recorded delivery “expressing her love” and posted dozens of messages on social media platforms.
|
GETTY
The judge continued: “I am quite satisfied that you now have an understanding about how you should behave.
“You know that if you break these conditions, you will be remanded into custody.”
The case will return to Warwick Crown Court on March 13.



