King Charles’ former butler Grant Harrold has shared his experience of Prince Andrew’s behaviour during a visit to Scotland, as the Duke faces mounting pressure amid the Epstein scandal

Christopher Sharp Trendswatch Reporter

12:36, 22 Feb 2026

An older gentleman dressed in a formal suit and tie stands in a crowded room, displaying a stern expression as he looks directly ahead.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor(Image: Getty)

A former butler to King Charles has given exclusive insight into the disgraced Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, as scrutiny intensifies over his association with the late convicted paedophile, Jeffrey Epstein.

Andrew was released under investigation on Thursday, February 19, following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to his ties to Epstein. The former prince, who became the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested, is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

There is now increasing focus on his connection to the disgraced American financier, who died in custody in 2019, and the potential ramifications for both the British government and the Royal Family.

Former royal staff member Grant Harrold revealed how Andrew conducted himself during a visit to Scotland for tea with his brother, King Charles, reports the Mirror.

He said: “I remember him coming to Scotland for tea with his brother, the King. We didn’t see him as much as the other royals. He wasn’t rude, but he was very dismissive.

An individual in formal attire, comprising a black suit, white shirt, and black tie, is seen walking outdoors, maintaining a serious expression while casting a contemplative glance.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor(Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

“I remember opening his car door and he didn’t say thank you. He very much did his own thing. I remember he had his own butler and valet. He definitely likes the finer things!”

Andrew’s arrest followed the release of millions of files by the US Department of Justice connected to the Epstein investigation. Thames Valley Police confirmed he was released under investigation after spending around 11 hours in custody. Officers said searches at a property in Norfolk, Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate, had concluded, while searches at his former address, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, are continuing.

He was photographed leaving Aylsham police station slouched in the back of a vehicle and later returning to Sandringham as reporters waited nearby. Andrew has previously denied wrongdoing over his links to Epstein but has not directly addressed the latest allegations.

Two older men dressed in formal attire, consisting of black suits and ties, are standing side by side in an outdoor setting, possibly in front of a building.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and King Charles(Image: Getty)

The Sunday Times’ Roya Nikkhah has suggested that King Charles may be departing from the Royal Family’s longstanding motto of “never complain, never explain,” instead taking inspiration from his late mother, Queen Elizabeth II.

She wrote: “Their (Charles and William’s) written statements issued within hours of each other on Monday, expressing ‘profound’ and ‘deep concern’ for Epstein’s victims, have not quelled disquiet.

“Nor has stripping Andrew’s titles and relocating him to Norfolk extinguished public revulsion. Hearing from the monarch in personal, spoken words, rather than Palace statements, would redress that.

“In times of national crisis, Queen Elizabeth understood speaking to us was a reassuring salve. It was a card she rarely played, but after the death of Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997 and as the Covid pandemic struck in 2020, her televised addresses settled a rattled public.”

Leave A Reply