British actor Tom Francis attends the red carpet for the premiere of Netflix's 'You' wearing a blue shirt
    Casting director Nina Gold has some requirements she wants Bond to meet (Picture: Yenesel/Epa-efe/Shutterstock)

    There’s a new name reportedly looking for a licence to kill in James Bond, and he would fit the casting director’s criteria.

    The hunt has been on for the next 007 ever since it was revealed that Dune director Denis Villeneuve would be helming the next entry for Amazon.

    With Daniel Craig vacating the role in 2019, names such as Jacob Elordi, Harris Dickinson and Aaron Taylor-Johnson have all been rumoured, although no decision has been made as yet.

    This weekend, it was reported that 26-year-old Tom Francis had auditioned for the part – and he fits the requirements stipulated by Bond casting director Nina Gold.

    She told Deadline that whoever takes on the role must, amongst other things, ‘ooze sex appeal’.

    Francis has been lusted over by fans for some time – just check out his Instagram comments which are constantly flooded with compliments from adoring fans.

    British singer Tom Francis arrives for the 2026 Met Gala celebrating
    Tom Francis looks at home in a tuxedo – could this add to his case for being the next Bond?(Picture: Angela Weiss/AFP via Getty Images)

    The news comes after Variety claimed Francis had auditioned in a process overseen by Game of Thrones’ casting director Gold.

    It said a source with knowledge of the production told the publication.

    However, representatives for both Francis and Amazon MGM did not comment when approached by the outlet.

    Deadline also noted that the actor should be young enough to play the agent in three, four or maybe even more films.

    Fans are both shaken and stirred after it was announced Francis could be in the running to play the iconic character.

    The actor most recently starred opposite Nicole Scherzinger in Jamie Lloyd’s take on Sunset Boulevard, and has also appeared in six episodes of You on Netflix.

    tom francis 'you' picture: NETFLIX
    Tom Francis starred alongside Penn Badgley in Netflix’s You (Picture: Netflix)

    RENT press shot
    The actor’s stage background includes a production of Rent (Picture: Rent)

    To date, Francis is best known for his stage work, appearing on the West End in productions of Hair, & Juliet and Sunset Boulevard.

    He made his film debut in last year’s Jay Kelly, which was directed by Noah Baumbach and starred George Clooney.

    He’s also set to feature in upcoming sports drama The Mosquito Bowl, directed by Peter Berg and starring Nicholas Galitzine and Bill Skarsgård.

    His biggest screen role to date was in Netflix’s stalker series You, where he appeared as Clayton Angevine during the fifth series.

    NEW YORK, NEW YORK - MAY 04: Tom Francis attends the 2026 Met Gala celebrating
    Some have said Francis is ‘too young’ to play Bond(Picture: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images)

    Reaction to the news was mixed, with X user Erik Lamoureux commenting that ‘he’s got the look for sure, but he’s too young.’

    ‘We need a Bond who looks like he’s experienced some life to be believable,’ agreed SoArchaic.

    ‘This one looks like a kid,’ said EnolaH, joining Tina.F in their opinion that he seemed ‘too young,’ to play Bond.

    However, others were open to the idea, with TheArchaicMan saying that ‘it needs to be a relatively unknown Brit.’

    Among those who were aware of the actor’s work, vickster51 described him as a ‘superb actor’ with ‘an incredibly striking presence/charisma.’

    K51206ES Mandatory Credit: Photo by Jay Maidment/Globe Photos/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock (16206310g) Nov. 2, 2006 - .CASINO ROYALE .K51206ES.TV-FILM STILL. SUPPLIED BY DANIEL CRAIG CASINO ROYALE - 02 Nov 2006
    Daniel Craig was 38 when he appeared in Casino Royale (Picture: Shutterstock)

    Louis Partridge smiling at an event in 2025.
    Louis Partridge is another young Bond the studio is reportedly considering (Picture: Shutterstock)

    This news comes a month after Variety reported Amazon were considering 22-year-old Louis Partridge for the role.

    While neither Partridge nor his team have commented on rumours, he did joke about how he might impress writer Steven Knight.

    ‘Maybe I could be at the bar, swilling a martini, saying nothing,’ he said.

    In an interesting link, Partridge previously appeared in Knight’s Netflix series House of Guinness last year, making this comment soon after Knight’s appointment had been announced.

    As stated earlier, producers are reportedly on the lookout for a younger actor to play Bond for the reboot – even before Amazon MGM Studio purchased creative control of the franchise from Eon.

    Not only might a younger Bond increase the number of films their new lead could make, but also potential involvement in the tie-ins and spin-offs the studio has an eye on.


    Callum Turner is the bookies’ current favourite (Picture: Getty Images)

    Actors most likely to play James Bond next

    Callum Turner – 6/5
    Harris Dickinson – 3/1
    Jacob Elordi – 5/1
    Jack O’Connell – 8/1
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson – 9/1
    Theo James – 12/1
    Henry Ashton – 16/1 
    Henry Cavill – 16/1
    James Nelson-Joyce – 16/1
    Leo Suter – 16/1
    Someone outside the top 10 – 5/2

    Ladbrokes spokesperson Alex Apati told Metro: ‘The race to replace Daniel Craig is more wide-open than ever, and while Callum Turner continues to lead the way, the odds suggest an unknown name could well get the gig.’

    Callum Turner is still the favourite to score the role with 6/5 odds, with Frankenstein’s Jacob Elordi at 5/1 and Sinners’ Jack O’Connell at 8/1.

    Recently-married Harris Dickinson has enjoyed a boost in odds and is now the second favourite at 3/1.

    Mere days ago, the studio confirmed that ‘the search for the next James Bond is underway,’ teasing that an announcement would come ‘when the time is right.’

    However, once found, fans shouldn’t expect the next entry in the franchise to appear anytime soon, with a potential seven-year gap between films on the cards.

    ‘Bond won’t be back until 2028,’ a source told The Sun. ‘The production mindset’s gone from “Let’s hurry this through” to “Make sure we get this right”.’

    Metro has reached out to Amazon MGM Studios for comment.

    Got a story?

    If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

    Comment now

    Comments

    Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google

    Add as preferred source

    Share.

    Comments are closed.