The heir to the throne’s private secretary Ian Patrick revealed the prince’s direct intervention at Monday’s annual Duchy of Cornwall financial briefing. “These people weren’t being heard. You know they needed an access road, and there was no one championing their cause, and the prince very, very directly decided to champion their cause,” Patrick said.
He explained that the narrow, pothole-ridden access road was causing serious problems for both the club and the local community. The prince wanted to see what could be done and helped bring together various parties to find a solution.
Construction begins this week
Patrick said the new road would solve the transport issue and allow the club to expand whilst supporting sports, social and cultural events in the wider community. The football club is not on Duchy of Cornwall land but sits in a remote Cornish community that the prince, as Duke of Cornwall, wanted to personally support.
The prince and his Duchy of Cornwall estate worked with CRH, a building materials group, to develop a lasting solution. The construction, which also includes new parking facilities, is taking place at no cost to the club after contributions from businesses and local landowner Paul Pond, who granted access to part of his land.
Season deadline approaches
The new road is expected to be completed in time for the start of Mousehole AFC’s 2025/26 season in the Pitching In Southern League Division One South in August. The Guardian reported last year that the club had been attracting talented young players from London and other big cities despite being located down the bumpy, potholed track.
Mousehole, pronounced “mowzel”, is home to about 500 people but its team plays against towns with populations 50 times that size. The club’s remarkable progress up the English football pyramid has captured attention despite the practical challenges of reaching their remote ground.
(PA) Note: This article has been edited with the help of Artificial Intelligence.
