British MPs are considering formally stripping Prince Andrew of his titles and holding an unprecedented debate about his conduct in the House of Commons, in the latest setback for the scandal-ridden royal. 

    It comes amid mounting speculation that King Charles III may force his younger brother out of his long-time home on Windsor Castle’s sprawling grounds, following fresh outrage at accusations by one of Jeffrey Epstein’s main accusers.

    UK news organisations are reporting Prince Andrew has been in talks with the king about vacating his 30-room royal residence.

    Sexual assault support lines:1800 Respect National Helpline: 1800 737 732Lifeline (24-hour crisis line): 131 114Full Stop Australia: 1800 385 578Bravehearts: counselling and support for survivors of child sexual abuse: 1800 272 831Child Wise: counselling provider: 1800 991 099

    Meanwhile, some politicians in UK parliament are pushing for the parliamentary motion needed to formally strip Andrew of his Duke of York title, despite the prince recently announcing he will no longer use it.

    Holding a House of Commons debate on the conduct of a royal would be unprecedented in modern times.

    When it might take place remains unclear, and any motion is unlikely to be binding. 

    But such a move would heap further pressure on the king and government to act.

    It comes days after the publication of Virginia Giuffre’s memoir, in which the victim of US sex offender Epstein reiterated in shocking detail allegations she had sex with Andrew three times, including when she was only 17.

    A drone shot of a white mansion pictured through a dense forest.

    British media says King Charles III and Prince Andrew have been reportedly in talks about Andrews’s Royal Lodge on the grounds of Windsor. (Reuters)

    The prince, who denies any wrongdoing, agreed to pay US and Australian citizen Giuffre millions of dollars in 2022 to end her civil sexual assault case against him.

    She took her own life in April, aged 41, while Epstein took his own life in 2019 in prison awaiting trial on sex-trafficking charges.

    ‘Pincer movement’

    Adding to the outcry following the chart-topping book’s release, British newspaper The Times revealed last week that the prince had not paid rent for two decades on his Royal Lodge home, where he lives with ex-wife Sarah Ferguson.

    The arrangement stems from a seemingly favourable 2003 deal for the mansion owned by the Crown Estate, the royal family’s independently run land and property holdings.

    If you or anyone you know needs help:Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467Lifeline on 13 11 14Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander crisis support line 13YARN on 13 92 76Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636Headspace on 1800 650 890ReachOut at au.reachout.comMensLine Australia on 1300 789 978QLife 1800 184 527

    British newspapers reported over the weekend that it had prompted ongoing talks between the king and the prince about Andrew vacating Royal Lodge.

    The Sunday Times said he faced “a pincer movement from parliament and Buckingham Palace to strip him of his dukedom and banish him” from Windsor.

    The newspaper reported he may agree to move out if offered financial compensation and a suitable alternative home.

    The Daily Mail said heir-to-the-throne Prince William and his family were set to move into a new residence near Royal Lodge and that he wanted his uncle to leave beforehand.

    In Westminster, the centrist Liberal Democrat party, which has 72 MPs, is among those demanding the parliamentary debate.

    “We need to explore all options … to ensure parliament can scrutinise this properly, from Prince Andrew’s residence at Royal Lodge to his dukedom,” a party source told AFP.

    “It’s right that we’re led by the king on this, and if parliament does have to act, we hope it can be hand-in-hand with the palace.”

    Share.
    Leave A Reply