Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is set to move into a property on the King’s private Sandringham estate in Norfolk after being evicted from his Royal Lodge residence amid the Jeffrey Epstein scandal
11:59, 21 Dec 2025Updated 12:00, 21 Dec 2025
Jennie Bond says Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor won’t strictly be ‘out in the cold’ at Marsh Farm(Image: AP)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is reportedly relocating to a dilapidated farmhouse when he leaves Royal Lodge in the wake of controversy over his association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
The 65 year old former Duke of York was instructed by his brother, King Charles, to vacate his long-standing residence in October, losing his remaining royal titles and patronages in the process.
He is set to move into accommodation on the King’s private Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
Whilst one publication characterised the new dwelling – Marsh Farm – as “shoebox-sized”, former BBC Royal correspondent Jennie Bond suggests to the Mirror that this description isn’t entirely accurate, and crucially for Andrew, the move is “not quite as out in the cold as it may seem”.
“Marsh Farm appears to be a perfectly pleasant old farmhouse, set in its own grounds,” she said. “Apparently it will need a fair bit of work, but if that’s true, it will undoubtedly be done at the King’s own expense.”
Sarah and Andrew are off the guestlist at Sandringham after a drama-filled year(Image: POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
The former working farm sits approximately seven miles from Sandringham House itself, a cherished rural getaway for the 77 year old King and 78 year old Queen Camilla. The estate’s no-fly zone has also been expanded to encompass Marsh Farm in anticipation of Andrew’s move, reports the Mirror.
According to Jennie, considering the family’s longstanding connection to the Sandringham estate – originally purchased by Queen Victoria in the mid-1800s as a present for her son – Andrew is “totally familiar” with the surroundings of Marsh Farm. She also points out that he won’t be isolated in his new residence, having been a frequent presence on the estate throughout his life.
“He spent many childhood days playing on the estate, sometimes with Diana, the late Princess of Wales and as an adult he has spent numerous holidays there,” she said. “And I’m sure he has friends in the area. So it’s not quite as ‘out in the cold’ as it may seem.”
Sandringham House(Image: NurPhoto via Getty Images)
The five-bedroom property is said to be undergoing significant refurbishment ahead of Andrew’s anticipated move, though Jennie suggests it may not become his permanent residence.
“That will be up to him,” she said, adding: “He still has many wealthy friends around the world and has at least one offer of a palatial house in the Middle East if he wants it.
“Over recent years, I think he has got used to a fairly solitary existence. He has his daughters and grandchildren, and his brother is picking up his living expenses. It’s a lot more than many people. So he really doesn’t have much to complain about.”
Andrew is set to leave Royal Lodge(Image: Getty Images)
Following Buckingham Palace’s announcement on October 30 that King Charles had “initiated the formal process to remove the style, titles and honours of Prince Andrew”, it was confirmed that “formal notice” had been issued requiring him to relinquish his Royal Lodge tenancy, prompting the move to smaller accommodation. The decision arrived during the continuing controversy over Andrew and his former wife Sarah Ferguson’s connections to Jeffrey Epstein, who was discovered dead in his federal prison cell in August 2019 whilst awaiting trial.
The Palace statement noted: “These censures are deemed necessary, notwithstanding the fact that he continues to deny the allegations against him,” whilst also voicing its solidarity with survivors of “any and all forms of abuse”.
Andrew continues to deny the allegations against him.
