Made in Chelsea star Sam Thompson, 33, was late, forgot his invitation and called King Charles ‘mate’ during an awkward Buckingham Palace encounter that left royal staff looking unhappy
Robin Cottle Assistant Editor Trendswatch
17:00, 21 Dec 2025
King Charles had an awkward encounter with a reality TV star (Image: PA)
A reality television personality who encountered King Charles has revealed how the meeting descended into chaos – arriving late, misplacing his invitation, and subsequently annoying palace officials with his relaxed demeanour.
Sam Thompson, 33, formerly of Made in Chelsea, attended a Buckingham Palace function for the King’s Trust, which helps young people find employment. However, proceedings got off to a rocky start and deteriorated from there.
His tardiness stemmed from mate Pete Wicks assisting with suit selection and tie-fastening. Matters worsened when he realised he’d left his invitation behind, forcing him to negotiate entry past Palace security.
Upon finally reaching the reception, already underway, Sam greeted the monarch with: “All right, mate.”
The television figure attempted to rectify matters by addressing the King as “sir,” before adding: “God, you’re not even a sir. Mate, sir, Your Majesty,” reports the Mirror.
Sam Thompson called King Charles ‘mate'(Image: Getty Images)
Sam told the Mail on Sunday: “He was very nice about it, but the Palace staff behind him didn’t look very happy. I have to say, very soft hands our King has.”
This follows observations from a former member of King Charles’s household, who noted something remarkable about the 77 year old’s recent cancer announcement.
Grant Harrold, who previously served as butler to the King whilst he held the title of Prince of Wales, suggested the monarch’s health statement this month represents a significant change in how the contemporary Royal Family engages with the public. On 12 December, the King disclosed that his early diagnosis and “effective intervention” had allowed for a reduction in his treatment.
Sam Thompson with his pal Pete Wicks(Image: WireImage)
This update came through a video message supporting Channel 4’s Stand Up To Cancer initiative.
“This milestone is both a personal blessing and a testimony to the remarkable advances that have been made in cancer care,” the King said.
However, according to Harrold, the significance of this announcement extends beyond its medical implications to the motivation driving it.
King Charles (Image: Getty Images)
He explained: “He knows this will be picked up and followed around the world. So rather than making it about himself, he’s used the moment to help others. He’s used the attention and the headlines to remind every single one of us that we need to get checked.
“He’s done this in a very clever and carefully orchestrated way. He understands the power of headlines, and he’s used them for good.”
Following his departure from Royal service, Harrold has established himself as an authority on etiquette, working as a broadcaster and royal commentator. He provides analysis of royal customs and the family’s inner workings.
