In a statement released shortly after BBC News broke the story on Monday, Channel 4 said it had commissioned an external review last month of welfare on the show “after being presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing”.

    Lawyers for CPL, an independent production company which makes the UK version of the show, said its welfare system was “gold standard” and industry-leading, and that it had acted appropriately in all these cases.

    Later on Tuesday, Alex Mahon, who was chief executive of Channel 4 from 2017 to 2025, is due to face questions from MPs in a pre-scheduled meeting of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

    The chair of the committee, Caroline Dineage, told BBC News that MAFS UK did “involve an element of risk” as a show.

    “It’s a TV show that almost expects and anticipates people that have only just met each other will have to become really quite intimate with each other,” she said.

    “They’re expected to share a bed and a life together within minutes of meeting – it almost feels like an accident waiting to happen.”

    Billed as a “bold social experiment”, MAFS sees single people agree to “marry” total strangers, after meeting for the first time at their mock weddings.

    A DCMS spokesperson told BBC News: “All allegations must be referred to the appropriate authorities and investigated with the full co-operation of those involved, with action taken to ensure that the highest standards are upheld and there are consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”

    An Ofcom spokesperson said: “Under our rules, broadcasters are required to take due care over the welfare of people who might be at risk of significant harm as a result of taking part in a programme.”

    “We note that Channel 4 has launched an external review into contributor care on MAFS UK and we await its findings,” they added. “We will review this and all other evidence made available to us.”

    Share.

    Comments are closed.